Home : Chicken Sandwiches Just Got a Major Upgrade With a Side of Mozzarella Eggplant
It’s one of humanity’s greatest marks of affection — putting together a sandwich for the person you love. This sandwich in particular has a lot of different parts to put together, but it just helps show how much you love the person you’re making it for.
I can’t say they’ll love you as much when they see kale chips instead of actual potato chips on the side of their plate, but hey, at least you care about their health.
Lemon Garlic Kale Chips
- 1 large bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray two large cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- To prepare kale, remove leaves from center rib and rip or cut with scissor into bitesize pieces.
- In a bowl, mix kale with oil, garlic powder, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Spread kale on baking sheets in a single layer and cook for about 13 minutes, until kale is crunchy and slightly browned.
Thyme and Black Pepper Chicken
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other oil for pan-searing chicken)
- Season both sides of chicken breasts generously with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add coconut oil to large pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add chicken to pan and cook for 3–6 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
- After the chicken is finished cooking remove to a cutting board and allow to rest for approximately 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Slice into ½ inch pieces.
Lemon Sriracha Mayo
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- In a small bowl, add mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest and sriracha. Mix to combine.
Baked Eggplant Cutlets with Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 large eggplant, cut in ¼ inch slices
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Cooking spray or oil for sheet pan
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Crack and whisk together eggs in small bowl. In another bowl, add bread crumbs.
- Dip eggplant slices first in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs. Make sure each piece is thoroughly coated.
- Coat sheet pan with olive oil, using your fingers or a paper towel to spread the oil evenly.
- Place eggplant on sheet pan and into oven.
- Cook eggplant for 10 minutes then remove from oven. Top each eggplant cutlet with a few slices of mozzarella and place back in oven for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Toast bread of choice, and apply mayo generously.
- If you want greens on your sandwich, place them on the mayo so they stick (I used arugula, but anything works).
- Top greens with chicken and an eggplant cutlet.
- Serve with kale chips.
All images provided by Josh Guirguis