Home : 3 Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Halupkies Recipes – eCom Tips – Medium
- 2 heads of cabbage
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 slices diced onion
- 1 -15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1–28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce in meat
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Put a head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water, and peel off the cabbage leaves one at a time.
Cut off the rough part on the end of the cabbage leaf with a sharp knife.
Mix all ingredients together except the 15 oz can of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes and put a small amount (size of a sausage) on a cabbage leaf, and roll up like a fajita and place seam side down in a casserole dish. I put tomato sauce and a cabbage leaf or 2 on the bottom of the casserole dish so the Halupkies won’t burn.
Pour crushed tomatoes over Halupkies
Cover and bake approximately 75 minutes at 375º.
Turn oven down to 325º and bake for approximately 90 more minutes until cabbage is tender. Baste every hour.
1. Cabbage is one of the oldest vegetables, dating back to the 1600’s.
2. Cabbage is available in many varieties: red or purple, green and Napa cabbage, usually found in Chinese cooking, bok choi and Brussel Sprouts.
3. Cabbage is: Low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, High in Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Potassium, Manganese, Vitamin A, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron and Magnesium.
4. The largest cabbage dish ever made was on 19 December 2008 in the Macedonian city of Prilep, with 80,191 sarmas (cabbage rolls) weighing 544 kg (1,221 lbs).
5. A thick-witted person may be called a cabbage-head. In Hebrew, the term “rosh kruv” (cabbage-head) implies stupidity.
6. Drinking juiced cabbage is known to assist in curing stomach and intestinal ulcers.
7. If one is looking for ingredients of a low calorie diet, cabbage is at the top of the list. One cup of cabbage only holds about 15 calories. It is definitely a weight-loss food.
8. Cabbage contains quantities of fiber and iron, which help to keep the digestive tract and colon in a healthy condition.