DIY : Moving the wall — installing the beam – Alexander Jenkins – Medium

The whole story — part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8, part 9, part 10

The collection of tools we used to brace the ceiling, remove the existing wall and prepare/install the double LVL beams. What a crazy cool experience!

Before and after

The load bearing wall is gone! All the tools used to move the wall and install the beam are comfortably resting beneath where the wall used to be. As a side note, please ignore the image shift caused by my camera’s slightly wide angle lens. After seeing the “after” picture, it almost looks like the beam has a bow in it so I quickly ran and double checked the level of the beam. The beam is absolutely straight and the supporting columns at the ends are immovable (whew).

The deed is done

So, Paul’s schedule held this time and with his expert help, the load bearing wall is officially moved! Paul was definitely worth the wait.

It required several hours to remove the existing wall, but we did it in a way that we could reuse it. Maybe it would have just been faster to hack it all down and rebuild, but doing it the way we did allows us to have a wall that is ready made and definitely saves money on lumber.

For now the wall is simply moved out of the way a bit and temporarily wedged against the ceiling and floor. Before I can set it in place I need to first make some measurements and start snapping lines on the floor to ensure the build remains absolutely square.

A quick run for lumber

A couple days ago I borrowed a truck and made a run for the rest of the studs needed to frame the double room-in-room walls.

Having to check each board to make sure it is straight and true. I messed up their nice and neat perfectly even little stack of wood, but If I’m paying more than $4 per 104″ 2″x4″ prime stud, I have no issues being a little picky. Needless to say, this board didn’t make the cut. Too curvy at the end.
72 more studs all ready to be loaded. You can see how many boards didn’t make the cut because they weren’t straight enough. I piled them all on top and behind the stack. I’m sure the lumber guy wasn’t too thrilled to find this after I left.

Half way through unloading the wood there was a sudden storm that prevented us from being able to move the entire load into the basement. I quickly covered the lumber with a tarp and hoped for the best.

Wet wood

When the storm ended I was curious to see how dry the wood still was. Amazing, the wood was completely dry. The tarp covering the wood however, had collected so much water that it became impossible to remove the tarp without soaking the dry wood beneath. Oh well. After 6+ hours of drying it out with a fan it was ready for business. With all the wood in hand I was excited for framing to take place a couple days later.

A rain storm prevented these studs from making it inside before I had to quickly cover them with a tarp. When the storm ended, removing the tarp unavoidably released trapped water onto the dry boards beneath and soaked every stud almost halfway up. It took more than 6 hours to completely dry them. But, they finally dried out and are ready for action. I couldn’t believe how soaked the boards got with such brief exposure to the water. Thankfully it all dried out great and nothing seemed to warp.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here