DIY : Father’s Day Photo Collage Succulent Pot DIY – Succulent Studios – Medium
Dads love plants, too!
We’re giving two thumbs down 👎👎 to the limited (and frankly LAME) selection of Father’s Day gifts out there. Sports gear, tech gadgets, grilling equipment, beer… *yawn* — we’re over it. This year, give your dad a unique and personal gift: a succulent pot with family photos! Break out the embarrassing photos that are sure to make him laugh (or cry, if you go the sentimental route) and mod podge those suckers on a terra-cotta plant pot!
Time: 1 hour with drying time
- Succulent Studios subscription box , or 1–3 of your own succulents
- 1 Terra-cotta pot
- Acrylic paint
- Paint palette (a paper plate works great, too)
- Paint brushes
- Mod podge — AKA the best crafting supply EVER
- Garden rocks
- Succulent and cacti soil mix
- Optional: Ribbon and glue gun
Preparing the Pot
- Paint the entire pot with a light colored acrylic paint (think cream, light grey, light blue)
- Paint the lip of the planter with a different color of your choice — dad’s fave color??
- Cut out your pictures to make a collage around your pot
- Apply mod podge to the back of each pictures and place them around your pot
- Add some more mod podge over the top of your collage to give it that special shine
- Optional: Add ribbon with a glue gun to the top and bottom of your pot where any blank spaces are not covered by the pictures to create a border
Adding the Succulents
- Separate succulent from pot by pushing in on all sides to loosen the soil, then remove the entire succulent with the root ball attached
- Place the succulent into the soil and repeat with the other little bebes
- Add the garden rock to the top of the soil if your succs need a little prop up or just to pull the entire pot together
- Take a photo (dad’s included)! Show off your #FathersDayDIY and tag us @sucstu on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!