Architecture : Software architect roadmap – Alaa’ attya – Medium
In general software architect is like the architect in real-life. Hes’s responsible for making high-level design decisions.
The objective of this document is giving an overview about the skills required by software engineers to level up and become a software architect. Still there’s no ideal skills required to be gained, but this is just a roadmap to be followed to highlight the main skills to be gained.
There’s no standard roadmap or specific methodology to follow to become an architect. Being a good architect is getting achieved by applying and implementing more than reading.
Below is a broadway roadmap that you can follow to start being a software architect.
Let’s define the 3 categories of software architects
Solutions architect [very detailed architect]
Solution architect is mainly the one responsible for translating requirements into code. Sometimes we can call him the “project development team lead” for a specific project. He’s responsible for the following:
- Guiding the development team through the implementation process in every technical details.
- Making sure that the developed solution meets the designed architecture.
- Making sure that the developed solution meets the functional requirements.
- Participate in choosing the right design patterns for solving problems.
Solution architect would be guided by the “Enterprise architect”.
Application architect is the one responsible for the following:
- Choosing the technologies that will be used to implement the application. He’ll be
- Making sure that the team is meeting the standard of the technology used.
- Responsible for choosing and cooperate in developing packages/frameworks that will be used by the team.
- Reliability and scalability of the application.
- Maintaining/refining the development life cycle of the application.
Sometimes they choose one of the development team to be the application architect.
Enterprise architect [highly abstracted architect]
Enterprise architect is the very highly abstracted architect responsible for the following:
- Designing the high level organizational development process.
- Designing UML that will be used by application/solution architects.
- Should be engaged more with the business mission of the company and the IT strategy.
- Raising the skills of the development team and maintaining their knowledge.
For contribution you can check the following github repo https://github.com/AlaaAttya/software-architect-roadmap